King Frederik II commenced the erection of the castle in 1560. For over 200 years the castle was used by the Danish Kings. The Royal family continues to use the castle church for weddings and other ceremonies. Today the castle houses the Danish National Museum of History. The highlight of this visit was being able to view the Carl Bloch paintings in the prayer chamber.