Thursday 4 November 2010

Lica Catsakis' Testimony

 
Posted by Picasa


MY STORY OF CONVERSION AND TESTIMONY

When I was born my family lived in Athens, Greece, but my birth took place in the town Pelasgia, Fthiotidos, Greece. All my ancestors as far as I know are native Greeks, and all of them belonged to the Orthodox Church of Greece.

My love for my Savior Jesus Christ was in me since I was a very young child. As a teenager I felt I needed to learn more about my God, and more about the meaning of life on earth. My Church did not fill that need; neither did other churches that I investigated, such as the Catholic Church, the Protestant Church, the Evangelist Church, the Baptist Church, and other religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism etc. I was reading the Bible but there were many parts of it that I could not understand.In the meantime I became very busy with my dental education, and later with starting a dental practice. I loved dentistry. I practiced 19 years in Athens, Greece. Then I immigrated to the USA as a single mother with my two young daughters, and I practiced dentistry in Washington DC, and taught at Georgetown University Dental School for 8 years, and 13 years in Salt Lake City. While we lived in the suburbs of Washington DC my daughter Emily learned about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and wanted to be baptized, but I denied giving my permission. Two young missionaries who came at my door were treated by me in the rudest way. They soon gave up on me. However all the following years of my being negative towards the Church there were many times that I would think “these young men looked as they really represented Christ.”
My negative attitude lasted 4 years. My daughter was now 17 years old, being very faithful to the LDS Church. In one year as an adult she would be able to get baptized without my permission. My negative attitude would only build a wall between me and my child. So I decided to give her permission to get baptized. As we were preparing for her baptism I was asked to pray to Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ to show me through the Holy Ghost whether this was the true Church. I promised I would pray, and when I prayed I had a very dramatic conversion. Now I was anxious to have again the missionary discussions, and was baptized in 15 days.What a tremendous change this decision made in my life! I started reading the Book of Mormon without prejudice. It felt as if it were the code for understanding the Bible. Everything in it seemed now so clear and making sense. In addition the Book of Mormon had a great influence in me; it softened my heart, and made me feel love for every human being. The students at the Dental School noticed the change in me and were saying: “What happened to Dr. Catsakis? She has changed so much!” In my heart there was peace, and I had a greater capacity to face and solve problems.
Problems are part of life. Pain and sorrow are part of life. But when we face them with an eternal perspective knowing about Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation, understanding about Adam’s fall, and knowing about what the atonement of Jesus Christ can do for us, we can bear everything easier, and we can have peace and happiness in this life, and eternal life in the future.
I know without a shadow of a doubt that God our Heavenly Father lives. Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Redeemer of mankind, our Lord and Savior. I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God who really saw Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. He was the instrument by which the priesthood of God was restored on earth, and the Church of Jesus Christ was restored on earth again as it was established by the Savior when He lived on earth. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true Church on earth. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God which helps us understand the Bible better. Heavenly Father loves us. He is anxious to see us go back to Him. His Son, Jesus Christ, who gave His life for us and was resurrected, He lives today. He is the only one who can show us how we can go back to our Heavenly Father’s presence. I know all these things because I prayed with all my heart, and Heavenly Father showed them to me by the power of the Holy Ghost. If you have the slightest doubt, you can also pray to Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ, and He will send to you the Holy Ghost who will testify in your heart that what I say is true.
I testify that all I said is true, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

3 comments: